Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Get in Shape!

Today is challenge day at Caardvarks! Our sponsor for this challenge is Scrapbook News & Review. Check out the wealth of information on their site - it's jam-packed with good stuff! They are also offering up a 3 month subscription to SN&R magazine as the prize. Thanks, SNR!

For this challenge, create a **NEW** SHAPED CARD and upload to Caardvarks via Mr. Linky by June 3rd at Midnight PST. By "shaped card" we basically mean anything other than square or rectangular. Be sure to check out the 'Varks DT sample cards for this challenge - they are nothing short of astounding!

For most of our recent challenges, the 'Varks designers have been taking turns creating "Caards & More" projects. Today is my turn! For our shaped challenge I scouted out a wooden object to alter that had an interesting shape. I found this wooden mirror at Hobby Lobby and went from there. I have a few friends who are new to scrapbooking, so I decided to post some steps for easy altering projects they could try.

I started by removing the mirror insert and painting the wood frame, taking special care to cover any edges and creases that would be difficult to cover with paper.

Once dry, I used a thin coat of Mod Podge on the front of the frame and adhered it to the wrong side of my chosen patterned paper.

I used a craft knife to cut away excess paper from the frame and sanded the edges smooth using several different files in the Basic Grey Precision File set.

I used a Colorbox Fluid Chalk ink pad to distress all the paper edges then applied a sealing top coat of Mod Podge.

The price tag on the kick stand for the mirror was really difficult to remove, so I simply covered that piece with patterned paper. I opted not to cover the entire back because it would have been tricky to work around the hinge.

Once the top coat of Mod Podge was dry I had fun adding embellishments such as flowers, chipboard with Stickles and bling. I inserted the mirror to complete the project. The shape of the frame gave me some inspiration to create a flower-shaped card for this challenge as well.


I cut one flower from the Doodlecharms cartidge on my Cricut. I used the flower die cut as a template to create a card in the same shape, tracing on a larger piece of cardstock then folding it in half. I cut the center piece for the flower from coordinating paper and added more goodies such as the flower, ribbon, rub on and Stickles. The flower petals and leaves were enhanced with chalk ink as well.

Want to see another awesome card-turned-project? Check out Mel's blog for her adorable creation and all the detailed steps for how to create it. I just wish I was small enough to use it!

6 comments:

~Lori Roop said...

What a great tut!! And VERY cute card and project!!

Nathalia Castellon said...

Fabulous work Jolene! The mirror and coordinating card are very lovely!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful Jolene! Great tutorial too!

(-: Heidi

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Ouuuuuu! I love this. It's just SO pretty & fresh. Feels like summer. And your tutorial is awesome. I am so thankful for your ROCKin Cricut tip. I have one and it's been getting dusty. Not anymore! Flower shaped cards here I come! Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration! :O)

SmilynStef said...

What an awesome project ... I love the step-by-step details.

Chiges said...

Hello! I was very impressed by your mirror. Thank you for the inspiration and your assessment!